Eight more deaths in Illinois from new coronavirus
Officials announced Friday that eight more people have died from COVID-19, bringing the state’s total to 34.
The number of deaths has grown since last Friday, when officials reported five deaths. Illinois Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike said 86 percent of the deaths have been individuals over 60 years old.
“We must continue to do all that we can to protect our older adults, our grandmothers and our grandfathers who are most vulnerable to serious illness and death,” she said.
There are a total of 3,026 new coronavirus cases in Illinois across 40 counties, after 488 new cases were reported Friday. The number of positive tests has nearly doubled over the past three days. A total of 21,542 individuals have been tested so far.
Gov. JB Pritzker also called on all licensed healthcare workers in Illinois to sign up for a new Emergency Alert System that “in the event of an urgent need” will allow public health officials to reach out and ask for their immediate assistance.
“Your fellow Illinoisans need you, your state needs you,” he said.
Health News Illinois is removing the password on all stories related to the coronavirus. For the latest developments follow us on Twitter at @healthnewsil or check out our website. For complete healthcare coverage, sign up for a free trial to our daily email newsletter.